10 things I know about Lucerne, Switzerland

Lucerne is in Switzerland.

It is next to a lake, which might be called Lake Lucerne. I can’t remember exactly.

It has a very old covered wooden bridge across a river.

It has hosted a jazz festival for at least fifty years.

It has a museum with a lot of Picasso’s art in it. I think Picasso might have made some large-scale steel sculptures for Lucerne in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

I think there might also be an annual classical music festival, thought I’m not sure.

I have a vague recollection of the contemporary artist Urs Fischer having a connection with Lucerne.

It is surrounded by the Alps. I think.

It is one of Chicago’s twin cities.

And the tenth thing I know about Lucerne, I now realize, is that I only know nine things about Lucerne. Naturally this will change over the course of this project. If you asked people from Lucerne to list ten things about Newcastle (the place in the UK where I was born and raised), I bet they would know even less. So there’s a point here about the gaps in our knowledge of the world, even with the apparent interconnectedness of our digital universe.

Comments