Three map-fold books

I've just started a series of map-fold books, so-called because the paper folds and unfolds like one of those collapsible street maps that you can buy when you go to a major city like New York or London.

Each one starts with a print of a street map of central Lucerne, onto which I over-printed found images from the internet of people posing in front of Lucerne landmarks:

I then printed another layer of a found internet image of another Lucerne object, such as a tower, a street, or a bridge:

Finally, I printed some linocut images drawn from the alchemical investigations of Nikolas von Flue, who was a Swiss Catholic mystic associated with the city of Lucerne, and who designed the six-pointed image of the face of God that is instantly recognizable to Swiss people (or so I have read):

Comments